Friday, September 25, 2009

Harry Connnick Jr- Your Songs




I have always been a Harry Connick Jr fan; that face, that voice, that talent...he might even be better than chocolate!  So when I heard that his new album was being released this month (September 22), I was anxious to hear it.  I was absolutely thrilled when I was chosen to review the album, Your Songs.  (Especially because I got my copy a week before the official release date!)

I was intrigued to learn that he was recording a host of songs that have been made popular by other artists; from the Beatles to Billy Joel to Elvis Presley and I had high hopes, as I love his rendition of "I Only Have Eyes for You" (Only You, 2004).

My first impression as I listened is that Harry Connick Jr is a perfect match for "Mona Lisa" (Nat King Cole) and his rendition of "Some Enchanted Evening" made me want to find my Prince Charming and start dancing.  Every song on the album fit well with his style and each song meshed well with the others.  I love the mellow tone of the album and found it to be great music to relax with in the evening, once the kids were all in bed.

I was slightly disappointed that, while I enjoyed the music, it just didn't seem to have that particular flair that I associate with Harry Connick Jr, that sense that he is smiling and winking at his listeners. 

I would not hesitate to recommend this album.  It is a CD that will be universally enjoyed by all ages (my 2 year old loved dancing around the living room to it as I listened), with songs that are easily recognized and beloved by many.  I know this will become a frequently used part of my collection; it is a cozy and comforting compilation of romantic and fanciful favorites.

Be sure to watch The Oprah Winfrey Show today, as Harry Connick Jr will be a guest on her show.  I know I will be tuning in.

No comments: